Podcast Episode 71: Blindness Hasn't Stopped Rachel from Sewing her Way to Success on EtsyMar 29, 2023
Watch this episode on YouTube: https://youtu.be/zVT75iQ_6CI
About Rachel Shelton | Sew Good and Trendy:
- Rachel is legally blind due to a rare genetic eye disorder called Stargardt's Disease. Stargardt's is the juvenile onset of Macular Degeneration. She was diagnosed when she was in 2ndgrade and has learned to live joyfully and effectively with her eye condition.
- Rachel has been sewing and designing bags and purses since 2008 when she opened her Etsy Shop Sew Good and Trendy and hit the local St. Louis Art and Craft Show Scene. All of Rachel’s bags are made entirely from organic and recycled fabrics.
- Rachel graduated with honors from Missouri’s University of Science and Technology in 1999 with a BS in Nuclear Engineering. Following graduation, Rachel moved to Upstate NY to work at a national laboratory to support our nation’s nuclear submarine program. After being on her own in New York, Rachel got married and the couple moved back to Missouri. She became a mom in 2004 and wanted to stay home with her girls. Wanting to have a creative outlet and still provide an income source, Rachel created her small handmade business.
- Rachel is a mom of two awesome girls (Ella - 16 and Sadie - 18) and a wife to her best friend Jeff.
- Rachel has always lived with the mindset that she can accomplish whatever she sets her mind to, even with her visual limitations…sewing, engineering, homeschooling her daughters, gardening, volunteering at a local animal shelter, and more. There are no road-blocks that she can’t figure out a way to adapt and achieve (except driving…so everyone can take a sigh of relief and know that Rachel is not on the roads! LOL!)
- Now that Rachel’s daughters are older, she is working to grow her small handmade business both online on Etsy and by participating in Art and Craft Markets in the St. Louis area.
My amazing guest, Rachel, was born with a rare genetic eye disorder that made her legally blind-- but no one even knew it until she was in 2nd grade. Today, she doesn't let her blindness stop her from anything (well, except driving) and has built an incredible business and Etsy shop selling her gorgeous hand-sewn bags.
**“How to Sell Your Stuff on Etsy” is not affiliated with or endorsed by Etsy.com
STUFF I MENTIONED:
*Our next FAQ episode is coming up! Submit your questions at http://www.LizzieSmiley.com
1) Sell Digital Crafts Summit: April 3-5, 2023
This is a FREE event where you will learn TONS of new skills from a bunch of different experts in the digital product space.
Registration is now OPEN! Get your FREE Ticket: https://lizziesmiley--cutnmakecrafts.thrivecart.com/all-access-passeb/63341664c72fd/
2) How to Connect with Rachel:
- Etsy: www.SewGoodandTrendy.Etsy.com
- Facebook: @SewGoodandTrendy
- Instagram: @Sew_Good_and_Trendy
- Pinterest: @sew_good_and_trendy
- E-Mail [email protected]
FREE ETSY MASTERCLASS: https://www.howtosellyourstuff.com/masterclass
FREE PDF DOWNLOAD: “4 Strategies I Used to Grow My Etsy Shop from $25 to $6000k/month”: https://www.howtosellyourstuff.com/site/4-strategies-opt-in
Grab my Course “Etsy Listings that Sell” and learn how to skyrocket your Etsy business:
Find me on Instagram and TikTok @HowtoSellYourStuff
HOW TO SELL YOUR STUFF WEBSITE: https://www.howtosellyourstuff.com/
HOW TO SELL YOUR STUFF INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/howtosellyourstuff/
HOW TO SELL YOUR STUFF SHOWNOTES: https://www.howtosellyourstuff.com/blog/sewing-projects-to-sell
THIS EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY:
My business and Etsy coaching services:
Sometimes we just need a pair of expert eyes to help us see our path forward more clearly! Whether you need help troubleshooting in your Etsy shop, pivoting to a new product, expanding your business to sell courses, and so much more-- you can hire me by the hour to provide a recorded zoom coaching session. We will work together to figure out your next steps so you can work smarter, not harder!
Book your session today: https://www.howtosellyourstuff.com/coaching
Today’s Sponsor is “Perfecting Pinterest” by Sophia Lee. An ecourse that will show you exactly how to use Pinterest to get a ton more views on your Etsy listings: Perfecting Pinterest:
*Some of the links above are affiliate links which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. You can see my affiliate disclosure here: https://www.howtosellyourstuff.com/affiliate-disclosure
Check out my eCourse Suite
Are you ready to dig in and learn exactly how to get your listings seen and sold on Etsy? You can do this! More than likely, you just need to make a few tweaks!
Learn at your own pace with my digital courses that are immediately available or hire me for a coaching session.
Get resources, tips & tricks, and loads of inspiration delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.